Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 10:40, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Barry is your card a Dell OEM card or did you purchase it?

It was purchased after market.  It's a true blue (er, red :) ATI Radeon
7500 PCI card, i.e. built-by ATI not powered-by ATI if I understand the
terminology correctly.

> I reason I
> ask is that there were some dell specific fixes in the old xfree code
> that went a way with the new DDC code that went into CVS.  perhaps some
> of them are still needed.  if dualhead worked for you in 4.3.0 with the
> excpetion of the screen turning off bug, then that may be the problem.

It did.  With the RH9 isos rpms, I definitely had Xinerama dual-head
working, except that the secondary screen would blank when you moused
over to it.  Maybe the fixes are necessary even for stock ATI cards?

> BTW, that bug is a one liner fix (one number actually).  you could
> revert to the stock 4.3.0 (that worked) code/rpms and change the one
> line to fix the bug.  I can probably even build you a fixed binary.

Alex, I'm your willing guinea pig.  If you could build me a fixed binary
(of the X server?), I'd happily install it and let you know.  Feel free
to contact me off list.

Note that this is my home machine so I usually won't get to fiddle with
it until off hours.

Thanks,
-Barry