Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Rex Dieter wrote:

> On Friday 16 May 2003 11:00 am, Michael B Allen wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install XFree86 4.3.0 on RHL 7.3. The rawhide RPMs are
> > built for post 7.3 so I'm working on the src.rpm. At first rpm
> > complained about a lot of dependencies with devel packages but I got by
> > that and created RPMS successfully.
>
> You'll soon find out that porting rawhide's 4.3.0 will force you to
> rebuild/back-port many, many dependancy packages too (making it not really
> worth it), including but not limited to:
> fontconfig, Xft2(mostly included in XFree86 now): this is the hardest part.
> kernel-drm
> as well as lots of subtle incompatibilies between XF 4.2 and 4.3 that
> would/should require rebuilding other packages for the new XFree86.
>
> In short, IMHO, you're best either sticking with RH 7.3/XFree84-4.2.x(*) or
> simply upgrading to RH9/XFree-4.3.0

Can you elaborate on this a little? I've reduced the RPM dependencies
to the three packages mentioned. All of which I seem to have or have
rebuilt from src.rpm. Rpmfind.net claims 2.4.18-3 provides kernel-drm. My
impression was that the remaining stuff is just a problem with RPM
dependencies. But if you know for certain a few packages that will
definately give me problems then please enlighten me before I run rpm
--nodeps and end up needing to back it off.

"Upgrading" to RH 9 is not an option. This is my work machine and I don't
need any headaches. Right now the machine is rock solid and I'm going
to keep it that way. Backing off X is one thing but changing operating
systems is not acceptable and I'm sorry to hear RH is so quick to leave
people behind and EOL versions they just put out a year ago. I would
just like to use a flat panel I have but the current video doesn't seem
up to it so I was hoping improved support for my chip would help.

If there are no objections I'm going to try running with --nodeps. Last
call! Stop me now if you know better!

Mike
[who fortunately uses Pine]