Re: RH9, Radeon 9000Pro, some horizontal streaking

On 8 May 2003, Mike Godfrey wrote:

>I bought a Radeon 9000 Pro (128M) for $200 last night, and installed it
>this morning.  On booting, the RH9 box recognized the card (tho it
>thinks it is a Radeon 9000, not the Pro.  Not sure what the difference
>is.)

The name used is a rather meaningless label that exists only to
be displayed to human beings.  The name presented on screen is
not used for any purpose in the actual driver code.  You can
configure any Radeon card as any other Radeon card, and it just
works.  For example, you could manually choose your video card
from the list and purposefully choose Radeon 7000 or even FireGL
8800.  No matter what Radeon card you pick, while the name
displayed on screen in the config tool, and config file may be
incorrect, the "radeon" driver is what gets chosen, and that is
the important part.

When the radeon driver is loaded, all of the above is irrelevant.
The driver internally looks at the PCI device ID of the card,
which is unique for every card, and it then follows conditional
code paths for that card throughout the driver.

So, you could actually edit the pcitable and Cards files, and
name the Radeon 9000 "Gorga Turbo Extreme 3Dfx Voodoo 5400".  The
screen will show that name, and the config file will also bear
it.  The radeon driver will be chosen, and when it starts up, it
will treat the card as a Radeon 9000 - or whatever it is.

That said, whenever possible, we like to have the proper name
display for a given card.  That is only as accurate as the
information provided to us by pciids.sf.net, ATI and other
sources however.  If you file a bug report against XFree86 (so I
get it), and attach to the bug report your X server log file,
config file, and the output of "lspci -vvn", and indicate this is
an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, but showing as something else, I will
gladly update the hardware database to reflect the proper name
in future updates though.

Just rest assured that no matter what the name shown is, that the
driver knows what the chip is, and uses it accordingly.  If only
the gory details of every video card model, PCI ID, etc. were
made available without missing anything.  ;o)

>This is a RH9 box, running XFree86-4.3.0-8 from rawhide.  The monitor is
>a Viewsonic LCD VP201m running at 1600x1200 and is connected to the
>digital output of the video card.

Not sure what the problem is you're having, could you elaborate a
bit?

--
Mike A. Harris