Re: xinerama portrait

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 19:45, noneedforemail@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a radeon 7000 dual head attached to two 15" LCD's.  I want to use
> them both in "portrait" mode (randr).  When using xinerama, if I try to run
> xrandr, I get the error message "extension 'randr' missing on display
> ':0.0'."  Any clue how to get this working?  Keep in mind that I have a
> radeon, so I'm not even sure if the drivers support randr.  Thanks.
>
>  --Andrew Schwartz

Andrew, how's the image quality on your two LCDs?  I'm driving two Dell
E171FP panels from a single Radeon 7500 card.  The monitors are analog
and I've got a DVI->VGA adaptor on one of the ports.

I ask because -- despite the current brokenness of always-on clone mode
-- the image quality has always been poor, even under XF 4.2.  In a
nutshell, the DVI->VGA panel is fuzzy and the VGA panel has tons of
ghost lines and other image instabilities.  Not to mention positioning
problems on both heads.

I know this is not a panel h/w problem because I can drive the same
monitors from a Radeon 8500 Mac card on my OSX box and they look
wonderful.  I'm still suspecting the Radeon driver under XFree86.

On a tangent: the various problems I'm having with the Radeon h/w under
XFree86 are making my Linux desktop experience too depressing.  Can
anyone recommend a good dual-head card that is well supported by XFree86
4.3, that can drive two VGA flat panels, and that costs no more than
about $150?  I don't care about gaming, i just need a good s/w
development platform (i.e. look real nice for text).

Cheers,
-Barry