Re: wacom_drv and i830

On 26 Apr 2003, Rene Rask wrote:

>First. I have purchased a tabletPC which has an integrated wacom
>digitizer.  I have installed Redhat 9 on it. The wacom driver included
>in that release does not support the new wacom protocol called ISDV4.
>I have compiled a wacom driver from the cvs at linuxwacom.sf.net.
>Is there any possibily that the driver from that site will get included
>in XFree86 (maybe in mharris' rpms)?
>The new driver also solved a problem with XD tablets where the buttons
>on the pen didn't work.

No chance.  I have no Wacom hardware, and no way of testing any
of it.  If I were to update the driver, I have no way of testing
it personally, and if there ends up being any bugs or problems
with it for anyone using any hardware the driver supports, they
will file bug reports to Red Hat - of whom can't do anything
about the problems.  XFree86.org wont do anything either because
we'd be shipping a driver they don't include.  There is no
contact point of support.

The proper solution is for Wacom to maintain the driver in the
XFree86.org source code tree.  This isn't very different from the
way the kernel is managed if you think about it.  Drivers need an
active upstream maintainer who handles problems if they're to be
"supported".  I definitely can't be the Wacom driver maintainer.

>I would be very happy if someone could look at that and help me a bit.
>I suffer from the "1 mb stolen memory" problem which I can understand is
>solved for some users of the i830 chipset. No such luck for me.
>I've been trying stuff for days and I'm really frustrated by now.
>The page is still in its early stages, so if more information is needed,
>I'll put that up before doing anything else.

Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9.  If you still have this problem,
please file a detailed bug report at:  http://bugs.xfree86.org so
that XFree86.org can investigate the matter and fix the driver.
Add me as a CC to the bug report <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and
I'll keep an eye on it.