Re: Radeon 9000 - 24-bit operation - noise on screen

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 10:21, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I occasionally see people report problems like this which I would
> personally refer to as "shimmering" in order to describe it.  I
> have seen this effect occur on a Cirrus Logic board before, but
> I've not personally seen it occur on Radeon hardware.

I think that term is as good as any I had thought of. Some other tests
make it look like it is not dependent on 3D acceleration or screen
resolution. At 1024x768 I can just see a bit of it on the right hand
side of the screen. At 800x600 I think the noise is off screen.

> Why it would work in one OS, and not another, could be due to
> different refresh rates being used, different modelines being
> programmed, or the PLL's being programmed differently, or some
> other timing sensitive item.  It's hard to say without being able
> to physically reproduce it and do a full troubleshooting and
> debugging session on it.

Ok, that's an interesting idea. How can I change the refresh rates that
the card is trying to run at? Actually, in both 16-bit and 24-bit modes
I'm currently at 91kHz/85Hz. Presumably something in xconfig adjusts
this? Maybe I could slow it down and provide someone with more info?

Can I change between 16 and 24 bit without exiting out of X? Is ther a
key pad way to do that?

> You might want to discuss it on the XFree86 mailing lists also.

I will. Signed up a little while ago, but trying to do my homework first.
Developers don't much like users if we don't at least try to fix it
ourselves.

> Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks!

--