Re: Radeon 9000 - 24-bit operation - noise on screen

On 19 Apr 2003, Mark Knecht wrote:

>Hi,
>   I've built a partition this week using RH 9.0 and hence XFree86 4.3.0
>

>XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.3.0-2)
>Release Date: 27 February 2003
>X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
>Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-3bigmem i686 [ELF]
>Build Date: 27 February 2003
>Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
>
>        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
>        to make sure that you have the latest version.
>Module Loader present
>OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.19 (root@xxxxxx) (gcc version 3.2.2
>20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #9 Fri Apr 18 09:12:37 PDT 2003
>
>X is working pretty well in most ways, except that if I am in a 24-bit
>resolution I get a lot of extra 'noise' on screen during certain
>operations:
>
>- typing causes noise to the right of where I'm typing.
>
>- resizing any window causes a 'ghost' of the window to appear to the
>right, It's not a perfect copy, but the size of the ghost tracks the new
>size of the window being resized.
>
>- If I am resizing a transparent xterm, periodically the whole xterm
>will go completely gray, and then return to normal.
>
>In both cases the noise tends to look like either white/gray or black
>lines, approximately 1/4" in length. The appear and disappear
>immediately.
>
>This is a 'Powered by ATI' type Radeon card, and I have heard of the
>anecdotal stories about these cards, however, I've run the card under
>other OS's and not seen this problem.
>
>The screen is very clean in 16-bit operation, which is where I'll
>probably run most of the time, but if there's a way to get this working
>better, I'll be happy to try and help.
>
>My current xconfig is attached.

I occasionally see people report problems like this which I would
personally refer to as "shimmering" in order to describe it.  I
have seen this effect occur on a Cirrus Logic board before, but
I've not personally seen it occur on Radeon hardware.

One person reporting the issue on a mailing list had mentioned
that it seems to be extremely card specific, as they replaced the
card with another of the same model and the problem went away.

It seems as if some cards might have timing sensitivities or
something.

If it is _not_ a hardware problem, then it would probably require
ATI or someone else who can physically reproduce it to personally
investigate the problem with a troublesome board.

Why it would work in one OS, and not another, could be due to
different refresh rates being used, different modelines being
programmed, or the PLL's being programmed differently, or some
other timing sensitive item.  It's hard to say without being able
to physically reproduce it and do a full troubleshooting and
debugging session on it.

You might want to discuss it on the XFree86 mailing lists also.

Hope this helps.