Re: screen size settings with ATI Rage 128 and laptop LCD

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Dave Reed wrote:

>I sent this last Monday but never saw it show up on the list so I
>apologize if it is appearing for a second time:
>
>I have a laptop that can do 1400x1050 and use that most of the time;
>however, when I need to hook it up to a projector at work, I change
>the resolution to 1024x768 since that is all the projector can handle.
>With Red Hat 8.0 this worked, but now with Red Hat 9, the only two
>options I have are 1400x1050 and 1280x1024. The ctrl-alt-(keypad+)
>only switches between those two. xrandr -q only lists those two.
>When I use redhat-config-xfree86 to configure the display as a
>1024x768 generic lcd, I get:
>
>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
>Any suggestions on how to get my laptop to do 1024x768 so I can hook
>it up to a projector with Red Hat 9?

Ugh.  Sounds like another case of "most of the developers working
on XFree86 video drivers do not have laptops" to me.  ;o/

The problem with laptops is that no 2 laptops are the same, so
even 2 laptops with the same video hardware often can have
different video problems.  It may require a developer to have the
specific model of laptop in order to fix a problem.  It also
means that problems are likely to creep up as new features are
added to the X server and/or the video drivers and end up going
unnoticed due to the particular developers not having the
hardware, so the problems do not get found.  Often even if
problems are found, they can't be fixed easily - again due to not
many developers having the hardware.

Also, generally these types of problems seem to be specific to
laptops, and they tend to never get fixed, or take a very long
time before someone can investigate them and fix them.

The best suggestion I can give you is to file a bug report in
XFree86 bugzilla to maximize the amount of developer exposure to
the problem, and post a message to the xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list to discuss the issue and see if anyone else has
encountered it and may have a workaround.

If a fix can be made by someone with access to this hardware, it
can perhaps be included in a future release.

Hope this helps.