screen size settings with ATI Rage 128 and laptop LCD

I sent this last Monday but never saw it show up on the list so I
apologize if it is appearing for a second time:

I have a laptop that can do 1400x1050 and use that most of the time;
however, when I need to hook it up to a projector at work, I change
the resolution to 1024x768 since that is all the projector can handle.
With Red Hat 8.0 this worked, but now with Red Hat 9, the only two
options I have are 1400x1050 and 1280x1024. The ctrl-alt-(keypad+)
only switches between those two. xrandr -q only lists those two.
When I use redhat-config-xfree86 to configure the display as a
1024x768 generic lcd, I get:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Any suggestions on how to get my laptop to do 1024x768 so I can hook
it up to a projector with Red Hat 9?

Thanks,
Dave