GNOME doesn't start automatically

Hi! Michael,

I installed the Red Hat 7.2 (Enigma) i686 with GNOME windows
manager. Then I made the kernel matching my hardware. After
this I started the X windows system with runlevel 5 in
/etc/inittab (e.g. id:5:initdefault:) all was ok.

Sometimes later, my colleagues thought I had KDE in place, and
he tried to boot it in KDE then failed (I didn't install KDE), but
somehow, some configurations got changed, right now my system
always boot to text mode (even /etc/inittab runlevel remained intact
on 5) and I have to run 'startx' menually to bring up Xwindows. I
tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and make sure the entry was
point to GNOME, but still no luck yet, BTW, there were 2 files
(.Xclients and .Xclients-default) got generated in my root $HOME
directory, should I remove both of them or should I change the
'exec gnome-session' to 'exec gnome-wm' in
$HOME/.Xclients-default? Thanks!

[root@xxxxxxxxxxxxx root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="GNOME"

[root@xxxxxxxxxxxxx root]# cat $HOME/.Xclients
#!/bin/bash
# Created by Red Hat Desktop Switcher
if [ -e "$HOME/.Xclients-$HOSTNAME$DISPLAY" ]; then
    exec $HOME/.Xclients-$HOSTNAME$DISPLAY
else
    exec $HOME/.Xclients-default
fi