Re: Radeon 7500 All-in-Wonder w/RH8.0

    Mike> Yes, the radeon driver supports resolutions as high as the
    Mike> hardware supports.  All the way to 2048x1536, and I've
    Mike> tested various Radeon hardware all the way from 320x200
    Mike> through 2048x1536 successfully, although one must create
    Mike> modelines for several of those resolutions.
    >>
    Mike> 1400x1050 should work out of the box with no fuss.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I might try to get this to work?  I've already tried
    >> copying the modeline from another machine which shares the monitor via
    >> a KVM switch.  I used xvidtune -show with the Radeon 7500 (typing
    >> everything and hitting return after using Ctl-Alt-Backspace to put it
    >> in 1600x1200) to find what modeline it wanted by default.  The
    >> dot-clock was the same as for my host with the Matrox G200 (175.5),
    >> so simply added the whole modeline from that host to my XF86Config,
    >> but the Radeon 7500 still doesn't sync---I get hash on the screen.

    Mike> Remove the KVM completely.  Then configure X and test it.
    Mike> Then put the KVM back.  If the operation of X with the KVM
    Mike> does not match the operation of X with the KVM, then buy a
    Mike> new KVM.

I'll try this tonight once I'm home, but

    o I've tried with the monitor directly attached to the Radeon (but
      the keyboard and mouse were still going through the KVM).

    o The Matrox G200 has no problems with the same configuration.
      Yeah, I know that doesn't *really* matter, but it makes me
      pessimistic about my chances of success with removing the KVM.

So I'll try this tonight, but if you can think of other things, let me
know and I'll try them, too.  This X problem is just the last item in
a long set of problems setting up this system (vendor shipped wrong
memory, try again.  vendor shipped wrong CPUs, try again.  Oops didn't
pay attention, got a "power by ATI card, try again).  By the time I
get things working, the warranties on all the hardware will have
expired :-/

regards,

roland
- --