Re: Radeon 9000

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 markknecht@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   Hi, and thanks for the response. I will check out getting a copy of 4.3.0
>this evening. I presume this will run on RH 7.3?

XFree86 will run on anything, probably even Red Hat Linux 4.2.
You won't however get 3D acceleration support unless you're using
a 2.4.x kernel and compile your own kernel DRM modules for 4.3.0
which the source code of is included in the 4.3.0 sources.

If you've never compiled XFree86 before, then this could be a
daunting matter.

>   RH 8.0 has support for this adapter, but my networking adapter (Broadcom-
>based) is not compiling under RH 8.0 correctly for me, while it does work under
>7.3 jsut fine. (Go figure...)
>
>   Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

There are no Red Hat Linux XFree86 4.3.0 RPM packages nor kernel
available to just drop into Red Hat Linux 7.3, so you probably
will have to roll your own.  It's certainly possible to do,
however the build time dependancies you will encounter will
require you upgrade several things.  In general, most people find
it is not worth the effort.  It's much easier to just upgrade to
the latest release of Red Hat Linux and get the support for free,
as well as updates that come out.

4.3.0 will be supported in the next release which will be out
before too long.  The 4.3.0 packages are rebuildable on Red Hat
Linux 8.0 without too much effort, but 7.3 will be a bit more of
a challenge.