2 instances of gnome on dual monitors ?

I got my dual monitor to work in xinerama mode. However, there are situations
where I would like to be able to have 2 distincts displays instead.

This happens when you want to use DRI, for example or when you want to use
a specific display for a specific app (like TV tuner when only one card
supports it).

I could get this to work fine with KDE which recognizes the situation and
starts 2 independant displays. However, when using gnome, X starts on both
displays but only one is managed by gnome.
Is there a way to have both managed ?

At the very least, can I run something in the unmanaged display ... and how ?
I tried to use 1:0 as the second display, but it doesn't seem to work. What
is the second display's "name" ?

Thanks !

Philippe