Re: X Problem

Mike's advice on bringing you RHL-7.1 system up2date is valid.
Many bugs have been fixed, especially security and stability related ones. The move to XFree86-4.1 adds a lot of new features too. In your case a new video card is probably best.

FT wrote:
Thanks...but it takes ages to download the binary files to upgrade to RH 8.0
and then to make a cdrom etc....although I have registered with RH's Basic
Support  can they send me the CDROMS

If you want physical disks you have 3 choices. 1) download the ISO images and burn your own CDs

2) spend a few dollars and buiy CDs from somone who did that, like this one from www.cheapbytes.com, http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010857.html
(It should be the three ISO images from redhat.com. I guess Red Hat made them stop using the name :( )

3) Buy a boxed version of Red Hat Linux online or in a store.

So the best bet is it really to upgrade.... can 't we have a workaround this
problem...????

I went back to the list archives to look over the original post.

You have X configured for a S3 Trio64, XF86 detected a
S3 Trio32/64 rev 84, as PCI device 0:10:0.
Is this the correct card? Is it PCI or AGP?
How much memory? What  resolution are you trying to use?

A quick check of the XFree86 documentation here
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.3/Status28.html#28

Shows that XF86-4.0.3 doesn't support the S3 Trio64, and
says to use XF86-3.3.6 which does support it.

I no longer remember how to change to XF86-3.3.x in RHL
though it was possible. Post the output from 'rpm -qa |grep XFree'
so we know what you have installed and what you need to change.

The XF86-4.1.0 driver status page also shows that the Trio-64 is
not supported, and to use XF86-3.3.6.

The VGA driver you are currently using will work, but it only supports 1,4, and 8 bit color, not the 24bit mode you are trying to use. But for 8bit you only get 320x200 resolution.

You could also try the vesa drive. It will give you 8, 15 16 and 24 color, bot onle VESA resolutions. That should get you 1024x768 and maybe 1280x1024, depending on the memory on you card and the color depth you use.

RHL-8.0 comes with XF86-4.2.0 which does support the Trio64.
Getting XF86-4.2.0 to work with a RHL-7.1 system would be an excersize in futility.

-Thomas