Re: X Problem

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, FT wrote:

>Thanks...but it takes ages to download the binary files to upgrade to RH 8.0
>and then to make a cdrom etc....although I have registered with RH's Basic
>Support  can they send me the CDROMS

Red Hat Network Basic support allows you priority access to
download updates via up2date, as well as download CDROM ISO
images at high speed via Red Hat Network.

Red Hat Network does not provide updates in the form of mailed
out CDROMs however.  I provide information below on how to update
your system using the Red Hat Network up2date service.

>So the best bet is it really to upgrade.... can 't we have a
>workaround this problem...????

Sorry, but the problem is that you are using a default
installation of a rather old version of Red Hat Linux, and you
have not applied Red Hat's released software updates.  The
problem you're having could be one of many things, but there's no
way to know for sure without more information.

The problem could be one of:

1) Possible misconfiguration - if this is the case, assuming your
hardware is supported, and you've just misconfigured it, or the
tools we provide have misconfigured it, then the solution is to
reconfigure it properly (perhaps requiring assistance from the
mailing list of course).  If this is the problem, it is possible
that one of us here on this list might be able to help.

or

2) It is possible that your hardware is too new, and Red Hat
Linux 7.1 is too old.  If this is the case, and your hardware is
not supported - you have no option other than to upgrade at least
to the latest updates for Red Hat Linux 7.1 (assuming XFree86
4.1.0 would solve the problem, but that is just conjecture at
this point as we don't yet know what the problem is).

or

3) It's possible that your hardware is just totally unsupported
in 7.1, in which case it probably will never be supported in 7.1.
If this is the case, then your only option would be to upgrade to
a release that supports the hardware you're using.

Which of those scenarios is the correct one (or some other
scenario that I've perhaps not thought of) it is hard to say.  We
would need to know more about the problem first to be able to
make such a conclusion.

One thing is certain though - if you aren't using the latest
updates that we've released for a given OS product, and you're
having a problem, it is entirely possible (although by no means
is it guaranteed) that the software updates we've provided might
fix the problem.  Troubleshooting a problem that is possibly
fixed in a software update isn't good use of time though, so
you're strongly recommended to update, since the currently
supported XFree86 configuration on Red Hat Linux 7.1, is XFree86
XFree86-4.1.0-25 running under kernel-2.4.9-34.  Once we've
released new updates, the older software is replaced by the new,
and the older software is unsupported.

So, my current recommendation, is to upgrade your kernel to
our latest Red Hat Linux 7.1 kernel:

up2date -f kernel

or if you're using SMP:

up2date -f kernel-smp

And then upgrade XFree86:

up2date XFree86

That will pull in any required dependancies as well.  If the
problem you're experiencing continues, then please provide the
details, and someone on the list (possibly myself), can try to
help determine what is going wrong.

Or you can update your whole system all at once (strongly
recommended) by doing:

up2date -u

Note that if you do not update your system to the latest software
packages we have released for Red Hat Linux 7.1, that it is
highly likely that your system is vulnerable to many security
problems that have been fixed in software updates we've released
in the last 2 years.

Hope this helps.