Re: Redhat 8 and DRM

On 24 Feb 2003, Eric Esterle wrote:

>I have a couple of questions concerning the correct way to get DRM
>working in Redhat 8.  My motivation for doing this is to correctly set
>up my All In Wonder Radeon for TV in/out and recording.  I am also a
>subscriber to the Gatos list and have made some success so far but it
>has been haphazard at best and I would really like to know the correct
>way in getting DRM working in Redhat 8.

Just so you are aware, GATOS drivers, or any drivers for that
matter that are not supplied by Red Hat as part of Red Hat Linux
- are totally unsupported by Red Hat.

>Here is what I have done so far.  I have compiled and installed the
>Gatos kernel DRM and ATI.2 drivers and got TV in working with xawtv.  I
>have got ALSA compiled and installed.  I actually think I did have
>everything installed correctly (aside from no gears being displayed) but
>I then upgraded to XFree snapshot version 4.2.99.902 along with the
>corresponding ATI binaries and this locked up my version of X.  I then
>reinstalled Redhat to start fresh when XFree version 4.3 is released
>later this week.  So I am now back to configuring my kernel to get DRM
>working.

>I was reading the thread on "Kernel DRM woes".  Before, when I got TV-IN
>working I was not using the Redhat kernel I was using kernel 2.4.20 from
>www.kernel.org.

If you're using GATOS drivers, then you must use GATOS DRM.

>In the kernel I had "Build 4.0 DRI Drivers" and then tried Build 4.1.
>With 4.0 I could see Gears in GLXGEARS but my FPS were 157 FPS and "DRI
>NOT LOADED" message in my XFree log.  With 4.1 I had no gears but my FPS
>were 987 FPS.  I eventually turned both of these off in the kernel and
>loaded the ATI DRM module manually but I still had no gears displayed
>but 987 FPS.

Because the kernel.org kernel does not contain the GATOS DRM.

>There is something really strange going on with DRM in Redhat.

Not really.  You're not using Red Hat DRM with supported drivers.
The DRM in Red Hat Linux is not the GATOS DRM, and you wont get
GATOS to work with it.  This is not a Red Hat bug, nor a Red Hat
DRM problem.  GATOS is simply not compatible with the DRM in Red
Hat Linux, and the GATOS site explicitly states that you require
to use their DRM modules.

>I have no intention of using any other version of Linux and will
>keep trying with Redhat 8.  I would eventually like to write an
>updated Redhat specific ATI All In Wonder Radeon FAQ/tutorial
>but I have a lot of work ahead.  What I need help with is the
>specifics on correctly setting up DRM in Redhat 8.  What I have
>done correct so far and what I have done wrong.

Well...  there's nothing Red Hat specific about getting GATOS
working in Red Hat Linux.  It's a matter of reading the
instructions that come with the GATOS drivers, and compiling the
GATOS DRM kernel modules, or compiling a kernel with those
modules, installing it and using it.  The same procedure would be
followed on any Linux distribution.

If you can't get GATOS to work, then you're doing something
wrong, or the GATOS drivers are broken that you're trying to use.
I suspect the former is the case however as I'm able to run GATOS
drivers locally, and I know many others who are able to do so as
well.

Perhaps a future XFree86 release will merge pieces of the GATOS
code, and end users won't have to jump through hoops like this to
get things working.

You really do have to use the DRM modules that are part of the
GATOS project, and they do work with the GATOS drivers.  Your
best bet is to use the GATOS mailing lists to seek assistance or
precompiled DRM modules for the kernel you're using.

Just keep in mind that while this is fairly simple to get going,
it is totally unsupported by Red Hat.