Re: could use some help with dual monitor ...

if the other suggestion about editing your config file does not help
you may want to enquire further on the xfree86 ML on xfree86.org.  If
you check the recent archives of the list you'll see a discussion about
what looks to be your problem between Marc Aurele La France, Hui Yu,
and several others.  I believe this is the thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86%40xfree86.org/msg00930.html

Perhaps your problem is a variation on this.

good luck,

Alex.

p.s., have you tried swapping pci slots?  sometimes that does the
trick...

--- root <Philippe.Moutarlier@attbi.com> wrote:

> Well, I checked out the head of the xc tree, re-built everything ...
> Now it crashes :-(
> Still working fine with each card independantly ....
>
> I guess I am out of luck. Too bad, everybody on the Web seems to
> think this is
> a breeze to setup :-)
>
> Philippe
>

> On Monday 10 February 2003 17:40, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > I think this was recently fixed in CVS.  you might want to try a
> newer
> > version of Xfree86.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > --- root <Philippe.Moutarlier@attbi.com> wrote:
> > > I am running RH 8.0, Xfree 4.2.0 from distro and 2 ATI cards :
> > >
> > > - ATI radeon 8500 DV AGP
> > > - ATI Radeon 7500 PCI
> > >
> > > Both cards are recognized and work fine independantly.
> > > I setup my XFree986Config to use both at the same time by
> defining
> > > the
> > > following layout (actual files are included below).
> > >
> > > Section "ServerLayout"
> > > 	Identifier     "Multi Configured"
> > > 	Screen  0    "Screen0"
> > > 	Screen  1    "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
> > > 	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> > > 	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > I checked that each card is working by commenting out the "Screen
> 1"
> > > line
> > > and switching the "Screen 0" line between "Screen0" and
> "Screen1".
> > >
> > > Everytime I add the Screen 1 line, I get the following error in
> > > XFree86.0.log
> > > (details below)
> > >
> > > (II) Loading sub module "radeon"
> > > (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
> > > (II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o
> > > (EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config section.
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "ati"
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
> > >
> > > and, sure enough, only 1 monitor is running :-(
> > >

> > > Any idea about what I am doing wrong here ???
> > >
> > > Thanks !
> > >
> > > Philippe

> > > #
> > >

> > > Section "Files"
> > > # The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
> the
> > > # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is
> normally
> > > # no need to change the default.
> > > # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
> > > together)
> > > # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server
> independent
> > > of
> > > # the X server to render fonts.
> > > 	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

> [...]