Re: The i830 saga

TD> What exactly is the problem with the i830?

In my experience, XFree 4.2.x supports the i830 fine, but the chipset
uses a unified memory architecture where the video memory is shared
with main RAM.  The BIOS can be set to "steal" a certain amount of
memory for the graphics chip; Intel specifies that you must be able to
steal at least 8MB.  The BIOS in some Dell i830-based laptops is
broken and lets you steal only 1MB, which isn't enough to do anything
useful.  XFree CVS can allocate the needed memory via AGP.

I built XFree from CVS a while back and have a couple of working C400
laptops without upgrading the kernel.  (At the time, 2.4.18-10 was
current.)  One of those machines even runs Red Hat 7.3.  DRI (and
hence accelerated 3D) isn't working, but everything else is fine
including suspend/resume.

 - J<