System reboot during X use

I have just installed RH 8 Professional on a vanilla Dell PowerEdge 2200
(128 Mb RAM, 3 x 8 Gb hard disks, ATI Mach64 VT) and I am having a problem
with stability when running X (version 4.2.0 I believe).

I initially installed GNOME and after about 2 - 3 minutes of use the system
would immediately restart (so quick that nothing is in the /var/log/messages
or /var/log/XFree86.0.log).

I thought that this might be down to some of the options I had chosen at
installation, so I opted for a minimal install with KDE and a text login.
When the system reboots in text, it is stable and continues to operate
without restarting.  As soon as I 'startx' the system reboots every time
before even the KDE splash screen has finished loading.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

James