Recent X woes..

All XFree86 CVS builds 20021126.* up to 20021126.7 contain a bug
which shows up as many various applications SEGV'ing (crashing)
at random, either at startup, or shortly after.  In particular
Mozilla, xchat, but any app could potentially crash.

The problem wasn't reported very well to me until the last couple
of days by people so I never looked into it until yesterday.
I've isolated the problem down to an upstream modification to
omGeneric.c in Xlib which broke it, and causes these problems.

I've applied a patch to 20021126.8 to fix this problem, and a new
build is downloadable from my ftp site as usual.  (For those who
don't know where that is, ask someone here.)

This brings up a point which I'd like to comment on though...
The CVS builds from Nov 26th have been available almost since Nov
26th, and this issue did not really get widely reported enough
with sufficient detail until yesterday.

I put these builds up on ftp for people to test and report bugs
in bugzilla so that they can get fixed, either by me, or by
upstream, or via user submitted patches, etc.  If you are
downloading and installing these builds, and you notice some
problem, *please* report it in bugzilla, preferably after
querying to see if someone has already reported it or not.  If it
is already reported, add a "me too" comment to the existing bug
report.  In all cases, attach both your X config and X server log
to the bug report as individual uncompressed file attachments,
even if you personally think that the files are irrelevant to the
problem at hand - they are VERY relevant to me.  The X log
contains a plethora of useful information for troubleshooting
problems even if the end user thinks it is useless because it
does not show any (EE) errors.  It is the data itself in the log
file which is critically important.

As always, when reporting bugs in bugzilla for these builds,
report them against Rawhide, and indicate the exact
version-release of the XFree86 build.  In addition to the above
log/config file attachments, include your /var/log/messages file
if the entire machine locks up or crashes.  Also provide any
other details in your bug report that you think might be
relevant.

Thanks for testing X.