Re: Argh S3 Savage DDR woes

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, André Cameron wrote:

>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:39:15 -0500
>From: André Cameron <andrec@nextpath.net>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Argh S3 Savage DDR woes
>
>> You might want to email your PCI IDs to Tim Roberts and ask him
>> if it is supported, etc..
>
>Already did that;) (sort of)
>> Find out exactly what chip the savage is by doing an "lspci -v | grep
>> VGA", which will produce something like
>
>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc.: Unknown device 8d04 (prog-if 00
>[VGA])
>
>> Then take the PCI bus id from the front of that (01:00.0) and do a
>> "lspci -n | grep "01:00.0" to get something like
>
>01:00.0 Class 0300: 5333:8d04
>
>> Then go to http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html and see if your chip
>> is supported.
>
>ProSavage DDR 8D04
>

>Any other ideas?

Well...  Tim Roberts is the official driver maintainer, so if the
driver supports it, then it should just work.  If the driver does
not support it then it will not work.  There really isn't
anything you can do other than try it and if it works you're all
set.  If it doesn't then hopefully Tim will add support sometime.
I monitor Tim's driver page, and often update the stock X driver
to Tims latest as his generally is newer than the one in X
sources.