RedHat 8.0 with XF86_VGA16

All,

This may be slightly off topic for this forum, but I
am hoping someone amy be able to lend a hand.

I am currently building an LTSP environment to replace
MS Windows for a charity organisation. They have had
some old equipment donated to them for use in a
community oriented training scheme they are putting
together. It is important to emphasise that the budget
for this implementation is nil, so I have to do what I
can with what is there - upgrade is not an option!

My test environment:

   _Server_
DISPLAY: 17" monitor
VIDEO: Intel 810 (16Mb Video Ram)
CPU: PIII 800
HDD: 60GB
MEM: 384MB
OS: RedHat 8.0

   _Client_
DISPLAY: 14" monitor (Elonex superVGA - SV14)
VIDEO: Phoenix S3 Trio32/64+ (1Mb Video RAM)
CPU: P75
HDD: 0.5GB
MEM: 32MB

The problem here is the monitor (mainly). Under
Windows 98 (the original OS), the max monitor
resolution appears to be 640x480 16bit.

I have had to set this ltsp client up with XF86_VGA16
as XF86_S3, XF86_S3V and XF86_SVGA (version 3.3.6) nor
XFree86 (version 4.2.0) would drive the monitor
properly - I tried numerous modelines using
http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/modeline/ as
I do not have the monitor documentation (requested
from vendor 2 weeks ago, still no luck).

The problem is that the graphics appear VERY grainy
(including the standard RH8.0 background).

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I could
possibly improve this? I am thinking that if Windows
can display clearly on this monitor, then (hopefully)
Linux should be able to as well.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Mike.