Re: How can I add my font?

On Monday 18 November 2002 15:06, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Theewara Vorakosit wrote:
> >     I use Red Hat 8.0. I want to add my font to my system. I copy to
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local, run mkfontdir, insert entry in
> > /etc/X11/fs/config, restart xfs. I can use my fonts in Mozilla, both
> > reading and typing. However, my font is not listed in font list of
> > openoffice. Would you please tell me how can I solve this problem?
>
> A request: please wrap your lines at <80 characters or your posts are
> unreadable.  Although I've been able to reformat your post it will be
> archived with the long line length which will be unpleasant to read in a
> browser.

YES, please.

> Answer to your question:
> This is answered in Red Hat's release notes (more
> /usr/share/doc/redhat-release-8.0/RELEASE-NOTES-i386)
>
> o Red Hat Linux now uses Xft for fonts in GNOME and KDE, which uses
>        fontconfig for configuring fonts. The old style Xft config file
>        /etc/X11/XftConfig is no longer used or supported, having been
>        replaced by the new unified fontconfig method of configuration. The
>        fontconfig config file can be customized by editing
>        /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.
>
>        If you have fonts that you would like to add to your configuration,
>        you can copy them to ~/.fonts (or /usr/share/fonts), and run
>        fc-cache directory. The fonts will then be available.
>

> Does this help with your problem?

Actually, I do not believe it does since his problem is with openoffice.  If
you bring up one of the openoffice applications, click on "Help".  When Help
comes up, type in fonts and then Click on the "Adding fonts under UNIX".  The
text will explain how to add the fonts for openoffice.
Gene