Re: How can I add my font?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Theewara Vorakosit wrote:

>     I use Red Hat 8.0. I want to add my font to my system. I copy to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local, run mkfontdir, insert entry in
> /etc/X11/fs/config, restart xfs. I can use my fonts in Mozilla, both
> reading and typing. However, my font is not listed in font list of
> openoffice. Would you please tell me how can I solve this problem?

A request: please wrap your lines at <80 characters or your posts are
unreadable.  Although I've been able to reformat your post it will be
archived with the long line length which will be unpleasant to read in a
browser.

Answer to your question:
This is answered in Red Hat's release notes (more
/usr/share/doc/redhat-release-8.0/RELEASE-NOTES-i386)

o Red Hat Linux now uses Xft for fonts in GNOME and KDE, which uses
       fontconfig for configuring fonts. The old style Xft config file
       /etc/X11/XftConfig is no longer used or supported, having been
       replaced by the new unified fontconfig method of configuration. The
       fontconfig config file can be customized by editing
       /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.

       If you have fonts that you would like to add to your configuration,
       you can copy them to ~/.fonts (or /usr/share/fonts), and run
       fc-cache directory. The fonts will then be available.

Does this help with your problem?

Oisin Feeley