Re: XFree86 better i830 support?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Tellurye wrote:

>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:27:12 -0400
>From: Tellurye <tellurye@bellsouth.net>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: XFree86 better i830 support?
>
>Hey, Guys!
>
>This might be a dumb or old question, but I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop
>with the i830MG Intel video card.   The BIOS is hardcoded, so you can't
>increase the video memory for X Windows in Linux, so it only runs 640x480
>unless you use a different X windows type program (buying one from xig.com,
>called the Summitt driver).  I saw these posts, and I'm afraid I know VERY
>LITTLE about Linux, but have they released a newer version for XFree86 that
>addresses this issue?
>
>Any help would be great.  I researched before I bought and both Intel and
>Dell said this issue was fixed, they neglected to mention that the video
>BIOS, while Windows OS can use all the memory, Linux will only run on
>640x480.

"Fixed" and "publically available in a sane and stable end-user
installable manner" are 2 different things.

It is aparently fixed (but unconfirmed now), by working around
the problem in XFree86.  However, this "fix" is not in any stable
release yet.

It is in my CVS RPM packages however, although by definition,
they are unstable development code.  It might or might not work
for you.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer