Re: RPMS from XFree CVS?

On 2 Oct 2002, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>Date: 02 Oct 2002 16:49:01 -0500
>From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: RPMS from XFree CVS?
>
>Because of the improved i830 support in XFree CVS, I really need to
>install it on a few Red Hat (7.3) machines.  I see there's an option
>in the specfile for building from a CVS snapshots; has anyone tried
>it?

The option is there for my usage when I bump X up to CVS
versions.  Doing the full engineering of the specfile to work
with CVS is a lot of work.  I haven't begun this yet however, but
will be soon.

>My current plan is to just keep doing rpmbuild -bp and comment
>out patches that don't apply until I get something that will
>compile but I expect that to take quite a while.

That's only part of the process, but it does need to be done like
that.  It is indeed very time consuming, and bugs need to be
fixed along the way, patches updated, confirmed, etc.

>I understand the kernel version dependencies involved (need 2.4.19-ish
>AGP at least) and have that going.

Requires Red Hat kernel DRM preferably, or in lieu of that,
XFree86 4.2.0 kernel DRM source (in X sources).  The Red Hat
kernel contains patches to fix bugs on top of that though.

>I also know I'll need to patch in the updated DRI module.
>Finally, I want to make it clear that I'm not asking for any
>kind of official Red Hat support here; I was just hoping that
>someone could share their experiences and hopefully save me a
>bit of time.

If you wait a few weeks, I'll have fairly useable RPM's in
rawhide hopefully.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer