Re: Understanding Bluecurve vs. KDE vs. GNOME

On 19 Oct 2002, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

>> ie: Not for production use.  Definitely has bugs.  Please find
>> them.  ;o)
>Cool position! What about patches from dri.sourceforge.net and gatos for
>mach64? I use accelerated gl and xv for some while (using leif's
>binaries) - they work just perfectly for me! When are we going to see
>them in redhat rpms?

You'll never see DRI-CVS or GATOS in Red Hat Linux RPM packages.
Not official ones anyway.  DRI-CVS is _development_ code. When it
is considered remotely stable, it gets put into XFree86 CVS by
the DRI and XFree86 teams.  At that point, it will get picked up
by my RPMs when I update to the latest CVS after the merge.  The
GATOS drivers are greatly diverged from both X CVS and DRI CVS,
and DRI doesn't work with them properly.  Replacing the XFree86
drivers with the GATOS ones is not a viable option, and never
will be.  The only time any GATOS code will appear in Red Hat RPM
packages, is when the DRI and/or XFree86 projects merge bits and
pieces of the GATOS code considered clean and stable into their
official source trees respectively.

That said, I have considered packaging the GATOS and DRI-CVS
stuff in separate unofficial packaging for quite some time, and
having them install into different module directories, and allow
users to switch between drivers by fiddling with ModulePath in
the config file.  It's just been ultra-low priority, as there is
a lot much more important work that needs doing that always seems
to get my attention.  Also, both the DRI-CVS and GATOS drivers
require updated DRM kernel modules, which makes the idea of
putting them in RPM format that much more complex/insane.

That said, bits of the GATOS code are planned to be merged into
either DRI or XFree86 CVS before long.  When that occurs, and
trickles into my packages, I will make note of it when I update
the RPM packages.

The Mach64 code is a separate branch of DRI-CVS.  When it is
deemed slightly ready for public consumption, it'll get merged
into the DRI trunk, and eventually XFree86 trunk also.  It is
unclear at this point if that will happen for 4.3.0 or not.  If
it does make it into 4.3.0, and passes testing on all my Mach64
cards without puking, I'll enable it in our RPM's.  If it doesn't
pass stability testing though, even if it is in the 4.3.0
release, I'll probably disable it in our official builds with a
compile time switch.  Hopefully it will get in though, and pass
viewperf testing and other batteries of tests I plan on pounding
all hardware with this time around.

Hope this is useful info.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer