Re: new XFree86

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> I hope everyone is using the new XFree86 CVS RPM's I made for Red
>> Hat Linux 8.0, and is enjoying the new translucent mouse cursors
>> with drop shadows.  ;o)
>
>Did you announce them on the list?
>I was browsing the people.redhat.com directories
>and found them.
>
>Haven't had time to install them yet,
>hope to tonight/over the weekend.

Never announced them anywhere but IRC.  I wanted just a few
guinea pigs first to test for any major breakage.  So far things
are working quite well with the following caveats:

1) Nvidia binary only drivers are for XFree86 4.2.0.  This isn't
   XFree86 4.2.0, so they wont work.  Not an XFree86 bug, not an
   Nvidia bug, not a Red Hat bug, not a bug.  It is a case of
   plugging a square peg into a round hole - it doesn't work.  It
   wont work until Nvidia makes XFree86 4.3.0 compatible modules
   available, which wont happen until after 4.3.0 is released,
   which wont happen until late December if not later.  In short,
   don't expect to use XFree86 CVS or 4.3.0 with Nvidia binary
   only modules any time soon, and don't report bugs about them,
   they'll be closed as dupes of bug number 73733.

2) Every new XFree86 release requires new DRM kernel modules.
   The kernel module code required is part of the XFree86 source
   code, and when I feel like it, I audit it and pass it to Arjan
   who audit's it also, along with probably a few other kernel
   hackers.  Eventually it makes it into our kernel, and
   eventually into Rawhide.  The estimated time for this to occur
   is WheneverWeGetAroundToIt(TM).  In short - you have to
   compile the DRM modules yourself for now, or disable DRI, or
   feel free to try with DRI enabled - it *might* work anyway for
   some hardware, but it isn't guaranteed nor expected to work.
   As another note, no you can't use Linus's kernel DRM modules,
   they're for XFree86 4.1.0.

Other than those two issues, most other things are very minor so
far.  Either that, or not enough people have been testing it out
and reporting bugs.

As an additional note to those interested in the CVS packages:

No, I will not tell people "what is new since 4.2.0" or "what
major new features are there".  If you really want to know, then
read the XFree86 CHANGELOG.  It is available in the source code
tree (use the find command), and also via the google search
engine.  Also read the changelog in my RPM packages.

These packages are intended for people whom are willing to just
blindly beta test them, knowing they are not production ready and
contain bugs and problems of which the goal is for them to find
and report them.  The packages are explicitly not intended for
people who don't know how to read RPM changelogs or surf the web
to find the XFree86 changelog.

I say this, because 50% of the people who find the packages, ask
me these questions.  I don't have time nor inclination to answer
them.  If someone MUST have the answers before trying the
packages, then by definition, they're not really a beta tester,
so I don't care if they use it or not.  They're looking only
for what _they_ get, and not for what they can give to me in
the form of testing and bug reports.  ;o)

</lecture off>

Anyway, feel free to test the packages, and file ALL bug reports
both in our bugzilla, and also to the xpert@xfree86.org mailing
list so that other X developers are also aware of all problems
found.

Enjoy the awesome new mouse cursors, and the resize and rotate
(RandR) extension.  Oh, rotate doesn't work.   The Rand
extension.  ;o)

Did I mention it allows runtime changing of refresh rate too?

/me sees another 50 guinea pigs pound on people.redhat.com now

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer