Been a little quiet around here lately so......

On 23 Jul 2002, Jim Hayward wrote:

>Date: 23 Jul 2002 10:12:19 -0700
>From: Jim Hayward <jimhayward@earthlink.net>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Been a little quiet around here lately so......
>
>Hello Mike,
>
>Any idea when we can expect to see early support in XFree86 CVS for
>ATI's new Radeon 9xxx series? The specs on the 9700 look pretty
>impressive. <drooooooool>

No idea about that one.  In general, every time ATI has new
hardware, they also have written new XFree86 driver code for it
that is at least 2D supported, and usually supports Xv and other
things too.  They generally target this for XFree86 CVS, and send
us a copy too.

I haven't received anything yet, but I presume ATI is working on
it still, and knows that the XFree86 4.3.0 codebase is a ways
from release yet, so they're probably planning on submitting it
all at once.

Our current rawhide is XFree86 4.2.0 based, since 4.3.0 is way
too far off yet, so the next release of RHL will not have support
for these new ATI cards by default.  As soon as I can obtain the
code however and hardware to test with, I'll evaluate how stable
the support is at the time, and consider it for possible erratum
- if not, then for our next release at the time.

>I haven't had time to play with XFree86 CVS lately, but I saw something
>about Mesa 4.x being used in the next release. Is this true?

Yes, Mesa 4 is in XFree86 CVS currently.

>From some of the posts to the xpert list at XFree86, it looks like the
>Radeon driver has undergone a lot of improvements since the 4.2.0
>release. Can we expect to see this new driver in the next Red Hat
>release? I am using the Limbo beta now.

Yes, the Radeon driver has gotten a lot of work done on it since
4.2.0 including TCL support for Radeon R100 and some other
families.  R200 3D support is currently being worked on also.

The new Radeon code has not stabilized yet, and is very much
developmental.  Once there is a new official XFree86 release out
with this new code, I will begin packaging up 4.3.0 and if
support for the new hardware is available in that release, or as
stable shippable patches, it'll be supported in some future Red
Hat Linux release.

Right now, anything is just speculation though.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,