Update Management

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:23:30 -0500
>From: Thomas Dodd <ted@cypress.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Update Management
>

>Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>>> I wonder which fonts?
>>
>>ulT1mo Type1 fonts
>>

>Did that change?

Did what change?

>They have been around for a long time.

Indeed.

>Aren't they part of XFree86, and X11R6?

No, and no.  They never have been part of XFree86, however in
Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 the fonts were merged into our XFree86
packaging.  They were split back out for 7.3 for my own reasons.
They are now removed permanently.

Rather than leave it at that however, since someone is just going
to ask me why next...

The fonts are aparently based upon copyrighted commercial fonts,
and allegedly violate the license of said fonts.  Rather than
dispute the validity of these claims, which we've no reason to
believe are false, in good faith, we have removed the offending
fonts.  The details of it all are not really important however.

>>>That's a long standing BUG in the installer.  It should be possible to
>>>Add/change packages to updated versions more easily.
>>>
>>It's not a bug.  The package list is stored in a database for
>
>OK,  a mis-feature. I see the reason for hdlist.
>I also remember when I could replace the packages
>much more easily (that sounds weird....)

I've been using and also customizing the distro since RHL 4.2,
and I don't ever remember it being any different than it is now.

>>>Droping/replacing the packages in RedHat/RPMS and
>>>a changing file somewhere in RedHat/base should be enough.
>>>

>>Implement such a solution, and submit it to us.  Make sure it
>
>I was thinking something like keeping the current system, and adding
>a updated directory, perhaps with the list on a floppy for early access
>during the install. It would work like the driver disk, or installer update
>disk.

Suggest it to the anaconda team.

>>enterprising open source developer with enough time and energy to
>>whip it up.
>
>And someone who know python :)
>That's _my_ current barrier. I finally learned perl when
>I needed it at work. Now, if I can find a reason to use
>python at work, I can try to implement something.
>Almost everything I do is C.

I too implement most things in C.  Python is very worth learning
however.  It is a great tool.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,