Redhat 7.3 and ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

>Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 07:11:10 +0100
>From: Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkby@ntlworld.com>
>To: "xfree86-list@redhat.com" <xfree86-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: Redhat 7.3 and ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card
>
>Has anyone managed to get the digital (DVI-D) output of this graphics card
>working under X ?? I can get text mode video out of it and even graphics during
>the installation of Redhat 7.3, but I can't get any graphics display out under
>normal use, although the graphics goes out on the VGA port okay.
>
>The card is supposed to be supported in Xfree86 4.2, which is used in Redhat
>7.3. However, when I run scanpci -v, I see it reports the card is unknown,
>despite the fact it does detect it is a Radeon 7500. I'm not sure what that
>means.
>
># scanpci -v
>pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x5157
> ATI Radeon 7500 QW
> CardVendor 0x1787 card 0x0207 (Card unknown)
             ^^^^^^

This card is *NOT* an ATI produced card.  Any cards not made by
ATI, may or may not work at all with XFree86.  If a board vendor
who has licenced ATI's technology makes the board work *exactly*
like ATI's own hardware, then it should work.  If they change the
design, then it may or may not work.  I do not have any non ATI
boards using ATI chips.

I have had various reports from people that they could not get
Radeon 7500 and other cards working without tweaking things.  All
cases so far, their hardware was not ATI boards.

In order for this hardware to be supported properly in XFree86,
and in Red Hat Linux, someone who has the hardware, needs to
experiment with config file settings, and then file a Request for
Enhancement bug report in bugzilla, including their config file,
X server log, "lspci -v" and "lspci -vn" output, and preferably
the exact board manufacturer's name, and the marketing name the
board is marketed as, ie: Radeon 7500 whizbang 2000
By using the Subvendor and Subdevice ID's, I can add new entries
for that specific card to the database and tweak the
configurations.

Without end-users doing this troubleshooting however, there is no
way to support this hardware without someone sending me a board.

>I'm not bothered about 3D acceleration. All I want is to be able to get
>1600x1200 to drive my TFT screen out on the DVI-D port. I'm using the SVA input
>of my monitor for something else (Sun workstation), so really need to get the
>linux output into the digital port.

Again, once you get it working, please file an RFE with the
details above, and I'll try to get it added to the hardware
databases.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,