Problem initializing ATI RAGE XL

I've got a motherboard (Tyan S2720) with a built-in ATI RAGE XL graphics
controller.

I've added a PCI nVidia based graphics card.

The BIOS finds the nVidia and makes it the default VGA device (BIOS
messages, LILO and Linux console output appear there...).

I want to run two screens (not Xinerama) using both graphics cards.

It doesn't work.  So I tried running on just the ATI.  That doesn't work
either.  The card is detected during startup of the X server, but it
won't initialize.

The BIOS leaves the ATI in a semi-configured state.  lspci shows the
memory and IO Port ranges assigned to the card as "disabled" or "ignored".

Interestingly, with TWO nVidia cards installed, one of them would boot
in this same "disabled state", but the nVidia binary driver which loads
into the kernel seems to enable them (probably by poking PCI config
space bits directly since there is no call to pci_enable_device) and so
Xinerama and dual monitors work with two nVidia cards.

So, I wrote a "driver" to poke the PCI configuration registers on the
ATI and enable the address decodes and assign an address to the
"ignored" IO Ports.  To simplify things, I'm trying to run X on ONLY the
ATI card.  Now the XFree86.0.log ends in this:  (I can provide the
"driver" code, the entire log and XF86Config-4 if necessary)

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(==) ATI(0): Chipset:  "ati".
(**) ATI(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(EE) ATI(0): Cannot read V_BIOS
(WW) ATI(0): Unable to initialise int10 interface.
(EE) ATI(0): Adapter has not been initialised.
(II) UnloadModule: "ati"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) UnloadModule: "atimisc"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/atimisc_drv.o
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Any ideas on where to look/hack next?  Do I need the int10 interface?
Can I disable it?  Is that even the problem?

If I go back to Tyan, what should I ask them to do with regard to the
on-board video so that the 'Adapter will be initialised'...  (ie what do
I ask the BIOS engineers to change/implement/initialise?)

Thanks,
:v)

--
Philip Pokorny, Senior Engineer
Tel: 415-358-2635   Fax: 415-358-2646   Toll Free: 888-PENGUIN