Installing XFree86 4.2.0 on Enigma

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Carsten Schwarting wrote:

>Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:11:33 -0400
>From: Carsten Schwarting <carsten@schwarting.net>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Installing XFree86 4.2.0 on Enigma
>
>I am installing Enigma on my Thinkpad which has Intel 830MG graphics card
>(only supported with XFree86 4.2.0).  So, I am trying to upgrade my fresh
>7.2 installation with Xfree86 4.2.0.  The "Xinstall.sh" script on
>xfree86.org says "no binaries for this libc version".  What is the easiest
>way to upgrade to 4.2.0 on RH7.2?  Where can I get binaries?  Yes, I'm a
>newbee... Any help would be most appreciated. thx.

Painless way: Wait for next release of Red Hat Linux to be
released, which is currently in public beta 2 (Skipjack)

Slightly less painless: Upgrade to Skipjack beta.

More painful: Upgrade the kernel and all it's dependancies from
rawhide.  Then freetype, install glut, upgrade Xconfigurator and
hwdata from rawhide, then all of the XFree86 packages from
rawhide.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,