Compaq Presario 2800

Hi all,

I have tried to install Redhat Linux 7.2 and  7.3 w/ XFree86 4.2 onto my
Compaq Presario 2800 laptop. During the installation, I got no problem
with the screen, but after the installation, from the graphical login
screen and onwards, the screen got screwed up. There are vertical bars
cutting up the icons, fronts, and dialog boxes. My Presario 2800 uses
ATI Radeon M7 card.

I have browse thru several newsgroup, but of no help. Can anyone please
help?

Thanks,

By the way , someone tell me this solution but I don't think this is the
really solution :

I have an ASUS laptop with a different video card, However, I have
faced a similar problem. What happens is that, probably, anaconda (RH
installer) uses a generic SVGA server during installation.

I have solved it by using this generic SVGA server from Xfree 3.3.6
instead of the XFree86 4.2 driver. Sometimes (in my case, e.g.) the
driver that comes with version 4.2 is worst than the generic SVGA
driver. I use RH 7.3 as well.

My video is silicon motion and there is a driver, named
¨siliconmotion¨, that comes with XFree86 4.2. However, it doesn't work.
What I do is to use the generic SVGA driver that is also included in v.
4.2 through a driver of v. 3.3.6. This may be a suggestion for you.

You may have to change the driver. I have sent the steps I used (and
explained them in case you're new to Linux). Use them at your own risk.

1. Check to where link /etc/X11/X points. If it is:

    X -> ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

    than you're really using the v.4.2. Probably that's you're case.
Than:

2. Check if you have packages:

    XFree86-SVGA3.3.6-44
    XFree86-compat-modules3.3.6-44

    in User Interface/X Hardware Support. If not, install them. This
will install the old generic SVGA driver. I have checked in XFree86
site (http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status6.html#6) that it works with
your card.

3. Check if you have:

    /etc/X11/XF86Config
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

4. The first file relates to the use of the SVGA server. This was most
probably generated by anaconda (type: head /etc/X11/XF86Config). Edit
this file now (vi, kedit etc). In the section ¨screen¨ you need to have
this driver:

Section "Screen"
     Driver      "svga"    <= ************
     Device      "Silicon Motion Lynx (generic)"
     Monitor     "Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024x768"
     DefaultColorDepth 16
     Subsection "Display"
         Depth       16
         Modes       "1024x768"
         ViewPort    0 0
     EndSubsection
EndSection

*Verify other aspects as keyboard, mouse and monitor configuration.
Compare with what is set in the XF86Config-4 file (this is the file
used by v. 4.2). Probably, you'll find that XF86Config file has the
configurations you have given at installation time.

5. As root:

    $ cd /etc/X11
    $ mv X X~
    $ ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA X
    $ cd /usr/X11R6/bin
    $ mv X X~
    $ ln -s XF86_SVGA X

6. That should do. In your desktop press Ctrl + Alt + BackSpace to
restart X server. If everything went fine, you're now using the SVGA
server.
http://www.SaudiABM.com
About Islam :
http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-20479/Audio.htm