Random spikes in OpenGL.

On Monday 11 Feb 2002 1:38 am, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> There are some problems with Mesa and/or Glide3 which cause this,
> however nobody familiar with either has been interested enough in
> that hardware to try and fix the problem I believe.
>
> Our Glide3 contains the last Glide3 updates, so if the problem is
> in Glide3, it is still a problem.  If the problem is in Mesa, it
> is possible but IMHO unlikely to have been fixed in what we have
> in rawhide.  Mesa 4.0 is another possibility also, but getting
> it, installing it, is not at all an easy task.

Hmmm, if you can give pointers, I can give it a go :-/

> My recommendation is to try XFree86 4.2.0 from rawhide and see if
> the problem is fixed now, and if not, report back here.  When I
> go around the circle back to my tdfx cards again, I'll play
> around and see if I can poke a fix out of Brian Paul or Darryl
> Strauss perhaps.  ;o)

Ok, I tried to install the packages in rawhide, then gave up. I have just got
XFree86-4.2.0 to compile on my Linux From Scratch distribution and the first
thing I tried was the glxgears (glxinfo told me that I was using DRI, so
that's worked ok), and still the problem persists.

> Don't hold your breath though, 3dfx hardware development pretty
> much ceased over a year ago.  ;o(

Hmmm.

I've just tried to get a screenshot of the gears program, but when the
snapshot program grabs the screen, the gears program slows down and the
spikes disapear, so I can't send a grab, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Luke.