Red Hat 7.1 X errata

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 listsec@dejazzd.com wrote:

>> Yes, you will need to install our latest kernel erratum and it's
>> required dependancies also prior to upgrading XFree86.  Once the
>> kernel is upgraded, and other dependancies met, you should
>> upgrade all of the XFree86/Mesa/etc. packages at once with:
>>
>> rpm -Uvh XFree86*.rpm Mesa*.rpm xinitrc*.rpm .....
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> TTYL
>
>Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I went to
>http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2002-010.html which only listed
>the rpms that you mentioned.

Sadly, our web site sucks.  It's quite often out of date it
seems.  Presumeably because engineering doesn't run the website.
Personally however, I can only admit that flaw, but not do much
to change it.

>The place I got the list from above was
>ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/i386/ rather than using
>up2date I just downloaded all the XFree86 rpms that were in that
>directory thinking they were related to the errata on the 23rd
>of Jan.

They werent related.  Totally separate software update.

>I'm not sure why Red Hat choose to include the X servers in that
>directory if they were not actually modified but it's trivial
>now.

They were.  I am the one who chose to include them, so I know the
score on the whole deal.   ;o)

The files in the ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/i386/
directory are correct.  Whenever new updates are made, they are
released in that directory, and stay there unless a new update
comes at some point later on that obsoletes the previous update.

Both XFree86 4.x and 3.3.6 are part of Red Hat Linux 7.x, and
both are supported.  Each are separate packages from each other,
both maintained by me, and are updated separately as the need
arises.

To date, we have released 2 separate erratum for 7.1 pertaining
to XFree86.  We released an update last year in June for XFree86
3.3.6, which is the mistaken packages you are refering to, and we
released an XFree86 4.1.0 update in January of this year to
update XFree86 4.0.3 to 4.1.0.

Both of those updates again are mutually exclusive, and that is
the reason that Red Hat has chosen to include them in that
directory.

In summary for Red Hat Linux 7.1:

What shipped in the official release:
	XFree86-Servers-3.3.6-35
	XFree86-4.0.3-5

What has been released as erratum since then:
	XFree86-Servers-3.3.6-38 (June 21, 2001)
	XFree86-4.1.0-15 (January 23, 2002)

I hope this clarifies the reason both separate erratum exist in
the ftp directory and alleviates any confusion.