Red Hat 7.1 X errata

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 listsec@dejazzd.com wrote:
>
> >Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:59:23 -0500
> >From: listsec@dejazzd.com
> >To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
> >Subject: Red Hat 7.1 X errata
> >
> >Hello,
> >    On a clean 7.1 installation of Red Hat linux the following packages
> >were installed:
> >
> >$ rpm -qa |grep XFree86 |grep 6-38
> >XFree86-8514-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-S3-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-Mach32-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-VGA16-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-FBDev-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-Mono-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-Mach8-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-S3V-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-W32-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-3DLabs-3.3.6-38
> >XFree86-P9000-3.3.6-38
> >
> >On Jan. 23rd, Red Hat released an errata for all XFree86 rpms but
> >I notice some of the rpms are the exact same version that came with Red
> >Hat Linux 7.1.
>
> I don't see where you're getting that from.  The XFree86
> enhancement erratum that I released, contains XFree86 4.1.0-15,
> Mesa-3.4.2-10 (Epoch 3), a new Xconfigurator, new xinitrc, and
> new XFree86-compat-libs package all for RHL 7.1.  The 7.2 update
> contains slightly different packages.  None of those packages
> were already available for the given particular release.
>
> >Do I need to download and upgrade the packages from errata that
> >are the exact same version as the one that came with 7.1?
>
> No.  We never build a package with the same version-release
> number twice.  You will never see a released erratum have the
> same version-release as a package that was shipped in the distro.
>
> The only thing I can think of is if you are mixing up the RHL 7.1
> and 7.2 packages released perhaps.
>
> Also, the packages you've shown above, are from XFree86 3.3.6,
> which was not part of the erratum.  The erratum is strictly
> XFree86 4.1.0.  3.3.6 erratum was from almost a year ago.
>
> >Also I'm using a vanilla kernel from kernel.org (2.4.16). Do I
> >need to apply the Red Hat kernel Errata as well? If so, do I
> >apply it before or after I upgrade XFree86?
>
> Yes, you will need to install our latest kernel erratum and it's
> required dependancies also prior to upgrading XFree86.  Once the
> kernel is upgraded, and other dependancies met, you should
> upgrade all of the XFree86/Mesa/etc. packages at once with:
>
> rpm -Uvh XFree86*.rpm Mesa*.rpm xinitrc*.rpm .....
>
> Hope this helps,
> TTYL

Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I went to
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2002-010.html which only listed
the rpms that you mentioned. The place I got the list from above was
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/i386/ rather than using up2date I just
downloaded all the XFree86 rpms that were in that directory thinking they
were related to the errata on the 23rd of Jan. I'm not sure why Red Hat
choose to include the X servers in that directory if they were not actually
modified but it's trivial now.

Thanks again for your patience.