Thread distribution on an SMP box

I would like to find out how Linux distributes processes in an SMP-enabled box with n CPUs. Will the kernel "move" a process from one CPU to another if another CPU is idle?

What I mean is...

When one of the processors become idle, will the kernel transfer an already started process to this idle CPU? If not, are there any ways to get around this (programming wise)? Say I'm going to write an application with 8 NPTL threads and 4 of those will only be active for a few minutes on a 4 CPU machine. How do I make sure that one CPU will not be assigned two short-lived threads?

Thanks in advance.
Carlo

--
Carlo Sogono