Re: Ethernet probe assignment order?

Late, but thanks for your help here. Looks like the engineers involved have solved the problem. I guess I'll start having to look at what the other lists offer instead...

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006  Matt Fahrner <Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

This may not be the right group, but someone can probably answer it here
 > (nor is it clear what the right group would be)...
Anyway, provided you're feeling charitable, does anyone know if there a
graceful way to force Linux to assign multiple ethernets that use the
same driver to a specific instance of "ethX". For instance, say if you
had multiple BMC ethernet controllers of the same type (or even a
multiport card) and wanted to make sure a specific port was "eth0",
another was "eth1", etc.

From what I can Google, the answer is either "no", or you can do it
through LILO/Grub "ether=" parameters. Neither answer is really what
we're after, though the later might be a solution in a worse case.

Mostly I'm hoping for a "modules.conf" or "sysctl.conf" solution...

Assuming you are working with a recent distro, Why not put something like this:
"HWADDR=00:D0:B7:A9:25:DA" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

The only down side that I can think of is that if you change nic's you
have to fix the file. Most likely you would have to do something like that
anyway. :-)

From what I can tell this list is all but dead. Since you do not say what
version of Red Hat/fedora you are running it is hard to point you to a better
list. I can tell you though that if you are running RHEL3 to look for the
taroon list, if RHEL4 look for the nahant list, if one of the rebuilds then
there are good lists for most of them. If fedora core there is a fedora list.
There are also several good IRC channels available depending on your tastes.

If you need help finding a specific list let me know.

HTH,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx

This may not be the right group, but someone can probably answer it here (nor is it clear what the right group would be)...

Anyway, provided you're feeling charitable, does anyone know if there a graceful way to force Linux to assign multiple ethernets that use the same driver to a specific instance of "ethX". For instance, say if you had multiple BMC ethernet controllers of the same type (or even a multiport card) and wanted to make sure a specific port was "eth0", another was "eth1", etc.

From what I can Google, the answer is either "no", or you can do it through LILO/Grub "ether=" parameters. Neither answer is really what we're after, though the later might be a solution in a worse case.

Mostly I'm hoping for a "modules.conf" or "sysctl.conf" solution...

Thanks!

            - Matt

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Chief Network Architect                         Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
Tel: (603) 448-4100 x5150                       USA
Fax: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx