Re: Interrupt frequency

jdebert wrote:
Sahan Sanjeewa wrote:

Hi,

Can somebody tell me the usage (or the meaning) of the constant HZ in
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/param.h. Does it relate to the interrupt
frequency ?

The HZ constant started out as a locale-dependent variable, and could be either 50 or 60. The purpose and history of this is in a kernel howto somewhere. Perhaps in the kernel-developer's howto.

It does relate to some critical timing, if I recall correctly.

It's been a long time since I read the kernel how-to's (since 0.99?) and they could explain much better than I ever could.

I recall also that HZ affects counters that will change how the system operates and keeps system time. That seems fairly critical in itself.

=-=