Re: SegFault with -fstack-check

Hi Sean,

> So it seems to be "distro" related....hmmm...

 Well, compiler version related (but afaik only Red Hat ships the gcc-2.96
compiler). On my Red Hat 7.3 system the error also is reproducible. You should
probably report a bug at http://bugzilla.redhat.com .

 By the way, if you need stack protection you could build a gcc-2.95-3 with
the IBM propolice patch (this is probably easier for RH 7.x releases than
moving to gcc-3.2.2). I tried porting the propolice patch to RH's gcc-2.96 but
failed until now. I did however create a propoliced gcc-2.95.3 rpm and am now
in the process of rebuilding all packages for my firewall. If you are
interested I could send you the spec file and the patch I created (essentially
the patches available at http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/ , but
with protector.c and protector.h added to the main patch file).

 If you are interested in even more overflow protection, I also derived a PaX
patch for use with RH's kernel-2.4.20-18.7. You can find this patch at
http://home.hetnet.nl/~ottolander/pax/pax.html .

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!