DEBUG output in init causes fifo to be ignored...

I was experience a problem with init (not running rc scripts; I will deal
with this in seperate email), and so I pulled down the SysVinit srpm
and rebuilt it with DEBUG set to 1 in init.h.  This cause init to print
lots of nice debug output, but...

When its in this mode on our 2GHz, duel processor machines with hyper
threading, init then gets into a state where it does not respond to
telinit.  If I look in /dev/initctl (init's fifo) the requests are being
received, but its not servicing the requests.  Its as if its stuck
somewhere and never calls init::process_signals().

Also, when I added further debug output inside the init::signal_handler(),
it made the problem go away some of the time.  But not all of the time.

Any clues what might be going on, or what I could do to debug it?

Thanks...james

P.S. I am building a kernel that will allow ptrace on it, so I can
run gdb and strace against init.