kudzu question

Hello,
       I was going through the PS2 detection routines
in the kudzu code (psaux.c) and struck a problem
there. I tried copying the psauxProbe() function and
mouse_read(), mouse_cmd() functions to another C file
and running it (after removing the psaux_device struct
operations, replacing them with printfs). The problem
is, even though I am root, I am unable to read from
/dev/psaux. In mouse_read(), read returns with an
error (errno 11). perror() says 'Resource temporarily
unavailable'. When I say 'print errno' in gdb, it says
'Cannot access memory at 0x8'. Any ideas about why
this is happening ?

Thanks
Vijay