Two pthread libraries on Red Hat 9

Title: Two pthread libraries on Red Hat 9

Good morning,

I've already posted this to the general RedHat list - but it was suggested it might be more appropriate to the development list.

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the difference between the pthread libraries in /lib and /lib/tls on RedHat 9. I ask because the library in /lib/tls (which is linked by default when you supply -lpthread to gcc) displays unexpected behavior, whereas the library in /lib or /lib/i686, behaves correctly.

The code below demonstrates the difference:

#include <dlfcn.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

/// Our global key for accesing the TSS
static pthread_key_t gcKey;

/// Destructor
static void DestroyKey (void* pcValue)
{
        printf("Freeing TSS\n");
        abort();
        free (pcValue);
}

/// Initialization code
static void*  Init(void *arg)
{
        pthread_key_create (&gcKey, DestroyKey);
        pthread_setspecific(gcKey, malloc(42));
        return (void *) 0;
}

int
main (int argc, char* argv[])
{
        pthread_t myThread;
        pthread_create(&myThread, NULL, Init, NULL);
        return 0;
}
}

In this example program, we create a thread, and allocate some thread specific storage, passing a pointer to the DestroyKey function to pthread_key_create. We would expect this function to be called when the thread's thread specific storage is destroyed, i.e. on thread exit. We would then expect the program to print a message and abort (i.e. dump core).

When linked against /lib/tls/libpthread-0.29.so, DestroyKey is not called. If I change the permissions on /lib/tls/libpthread-0.29.so and /lib/tls/libc-2.3.2.so to make them unreadable, so my program gets linked against /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 and /lib/i686/libc.so.6, DestroyKey is called on thread exit.

I'm curious as to whether anyone knows a) if this is a bug in the default threading library and b) if anyone knows a more elegant way to force my application to link against the 'right' libraries other than changing the permissions on the 'wrong' libraries. I have tried the -nostdlib option to gcc.

Regards

Tom Bailey

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and solely
for the intended addressee(s). Unauthorised reproduction, disclosure,
modification, and/or distribution of this email may be unlawful. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your system. The views expressed in this message
do not necessarily reflect those of LIFFE Holdings Plc or any of its subsidiary companies.