Re: tftp boot server on Redhat linux 9

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Michael Anburaj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup TFTP boot server on Redhat Linux 9. Please bare with me
> because I am new to the linux world.
>
> 1. Issue:
> I am not sure even if the tftp-server rpm package is installed on my system

rpm -qa '*ftp*'

> 2. I don?t know how to configure it & start it. Some documents refer to a
> file ?/etc/inetd.conf? but I can only find ?/etc/xinetd.conf?. & some refer
> to ?/etc/xnetd.d/tftp? & I don?t even have that file. Please point to a
> document that clearly states the steps to install & configure simple tftp
> boot server.
I think this is the modern way to do it.
chkconfig tftp on

RHL uses xinetd. Here is my working configuration from 7.x:
[root@xxxxxx root]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
# default: off
# transfer \
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
#       printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating
#       systems.
service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -r blksize -s /tftpboot
}
[root@xxxxxx root]#

--
Please, reply only to the list.