glibc-2.3 compatibility issues with Maya and NetBackup

Hello,

We're testing Red Hat 9 for deployment on our desktop workstations, and have
bumped against two showstoppers--Alias|Wavefront's Maya and Veritas NetBackup
don't work. This is a big problem for us.

This seems to be caused by the well-publicized changes to the use of errno in
the new glibc. Here's what Maya says when I try to run it:

lars@xxxx: rh9_glibc % /usr/anim/3rdparty/maya/bin/maya
/usr/anim/3rdparty/maya/bin/maya.bin: relocation error: /usr/anim/3rdparty/maya/lib/libFoundation.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I'm confused, though, because maya.bin is linking against what I'm assuming is
a compatibility version of glibc:

lars@xxxx: rh9_glibc % ldd /usr/anim/3rdparty/maya/bin/maya.bin | grep libc.so
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x42000000)

NetBackup's error is a bit different:
lars@xxx: ~ % /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbkar
Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly. Needs to be fixed.

As far as I can tell, Veritas needs to #include <errno.h> in their code to fix
this problem.

I know a lot of people have been talking about the fallout from the new thread
implementation, but haven't seen any good solutions. The typical answer is that
the software vendor needs to fix their product, which I agree with, but the
pace of these companies can be glacial.

Is there some hack or patch that I can make to get these things working until
Alias|Wavefront and Veritas fix their code and/or linking? I have a really
strong desire to get Red Hat 9 on our desktops (we're currently way back on
7.1) and need to get past this issue as soon as I can.

Thanks for any ideas!
-lars

lars damerow
button pusher