Re: FW: Few generic questions

"Ajay Bansal" <Ajay_Bansal@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Did not get any ans.. May be over here I'll get something

If the date below is right, you didn't wait very long.  It's Thursday, April
10, 9:30 AM EDT here.

Source to what?  Every package (except for bundled commercial software) has
an associated source RPM (.src.rpm).  I believe they're on the last two CDs.
Source RPMS have everything necessary to rebuild RPMS from scratch.  If you
want kernel source, there's no need to install the kernel .src.rpm, just
install the kernel-source RPM.  This contains just the kernel source code
without all the stuff for building a kernel RPM.

> 2. I want to develop a autmoted regression harnes suit for my
> application. I wan that the end tester should be able to
>     1. remotely (say from his windows machine) install/configure Linux
> server on a machine(if it already exists, it should be formatted first &
> then new OS should be installed with some specific feature)
>     2. install the product remptely (we can do thru rsh, bt we need to
> do some setting on the OS before rsh is enabled. How to do those
> settiong remotely??

Look into kickstart which can be used for fully scriptable installations.
For a fully remote install, you could use a NIC with PXE or an etherboot or
grub floppy to boot kickstart remotely.  You might want to look into
user-mode Linux too.

--
tim writer <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                  starnix inc.
tollfree: 1-87-pro-linux                        thornhill, ontario, canada