From: redhat-devel-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-devel-list-admin@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Serdiouk, Eugene
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 10:34 AM
To: redhat-devel-list@redhat.com
Subject: 'Cached' vs 'Buffers' memory

Hi,
What exactly is the difference between 'Cached' and 'Buffers' memory (as
seen in /proc/meminfo and reported by free)? I have an application that
reads large BerkeleyDB style database files. Where would I see the reads
cached under, 'Cached' or 'Buffers'?
Sorry if this is a wrong list for this type of questions, but I am looking
for a detailed and technical explanation.
Thanks in advance to everyone who replies!
Eugene.