'Cached' vs 'Buffers' memory

Title: 'Cached' vs 'Buffers' memory

Hi,

What exactly is the difference between 'Cached' and 'Buffers' memory (as seen in /proc/meminfo and reported by free)? I have an application that reads large BerkeleyDB style database files. Where would I see the reads cached under, 'Cached' or 'Buffers'?

Sorry if this is a wrong list for this type of questions, but I am looking for a detailed and technical explanation.

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies!

Eugene.