Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 18:42, John wrote:

> > >If procinfo shows 91% idle (as it does on my Athlon), then how much is
> > >there to gain? 10% of 9% is bugger-all.
> >
> > I CPU used is about 3%. But that really is not the point as I explained
> > above.
>
> What's it matter if your binaries _can_ run on a 386? From the
> information you've provided, I can see no way you will recoup the time
> spent rebuilding the software.

Well, there's the issue of optimizing your binaries for better speed,
and then there's the issue of "oh, my system is sooo pure, it doesn't
have a trace of i386 code on it!" ;-)
You can argue with the former, because that's logic. You can't argue
with the latter, because that's religion.

--
Florin Andrei

When it comes to discussing Linux, some people become temporarily
insane.